Chocolate – A soul cleanser and mood changer, consumed as early as the 1750 BCE, its been a staple part of our diet of treats so this month we thought of bringing you the easiest method of ingesting it.
This cake takes 5 minutes from thought to table and tastes like you went to a fancy restaurant and ordered a gourmet dessert.
You don’t even need to turn on your oven. The microwave does all the magic in less than 2 minutes! Plus you get to enjoy it in the comfort of your PJs. Nothing beats that!
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons whole milk, at room temperature
- 1 smallish egg, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 28 grams semisweet chocolate, lightly broken up
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a 2-cup capacity microwave-safe mug, whisk together with a fork, the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- Add in the melted butter, milk, egg and vanilla. Whisk well to combine, making sure to mix in the flour mixture in the bottom.
- Place the chocolate pieces in the center of the mug. Do not push down; it will sink as it bakes.
- Drizzle the tablespoon of water right on top of the batter.
- Cook in microwave on full power for 1 minute and 20 seconds to 2 minutes (1 minute and 25 seconds is my magic number), or until the cake rises to the top, the edges look set but the center looks ever-so-slightly wet and shiny but not raw, and sticks slightly to the finger when touched. Do NOT over bake, to ensure that saucy, molten-y interior. If the center still looks raw then give it another 5 to 10 seconds. The cake will fall after it comes out of the microwave.
- Let it cool for about 5 minutes so you don’t burn your tongue, but the waiting also help thicken the sauce in the bottom and your cake is ready to be eaten!
Photo credits : cleobuttera.com